While I first made fruit leather for a camping trip, my kids are happy to just gobble it up at home!
I made some yesterday. Today my daughter said, “Did you take what you needed for your trip? I’m about to finish the fruit leather.”
Here’s my recipe for making it with a dehydrator (if you don’t have one, it’s possible to use your oven).
- frozen mixed fruit (600 gram bag)
- unsweetened applesauce (1/2 cup)
- vanilla extract (1/4 tsp)
- Add fruit, applesauce and vanilla to small saucepan.
2. Cook at medium heat until it boils. Lower temperature and simmer for 10-15 minutes until it’s cooked through.
3. Remove from heat and let cool.
4. Puree with food processor (in batches if need be).
5. Pour onto parchment lined dehydrator trays.
6. Dehydrate at 135 F for 4-10 hours, depending on your machine. It’s ready when you can touch it without getting sticky, gooey fingers!
7. While still warm, peel it off the parchment, roll it, and break it into pieces. Enjoy!
It keeps well in the fridge and freezer, but never lasts that long at my house. You can experiment with the recipe by using a little lemon juice, sugar, cinnamon, or a different combination of fruits.
Follow me on Facebook: Kyra on the Go: Adventures of a Paddling Triathlete
Follow me on Twitter: @kyraonthego
Follow me on Instagram: @kyraonthego